Clic para EspaƱol

Monday, May 26, 2014

Remembering my Sister, Linda . . .

Remembering my sister, Linda . . . .

She was born when I was nearly six years of old, but since I was child number one, and she was child number 4, she became my baby.  I carried her on my hip or in my arms when I played games with the other children.  When I went to the store, or to visit friends, I took care of her.  This "looking after Linda" continued until we were teenagers and I left for college in Texas.  She was 18 years old when she made her first visit to Mexico ( to visit my husband and I)   and she fell in love with the country and the people and always wanted to go back and work in Mexico.  Because of family obligations she was not able to fulfill that dream until 17-18 years before her death.  She lived in the same city with us here in Mexico working at CCdeMAC  for several years and then moved to another state in Mexico where she opened an orphanage for children who had been
deserted or who were in the hands of the local government.  During the next several years she took care of around 20 children, sending them to school, feeding  and clothing them, and teaching them about the love of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Although she had to leave Mexico because of her bad health, she stayed in contact with the children's home and sent them offerings to help take care of the children.  She was one of the most compassionate persons I have ever known.

Apart from her work in Mexico and her love for the children, Linda was a singer.  From the time she was a small child she could sing and by the time she reached her early teens she had developed a strong, beautiful soprano voice.  And how she loved to sing!   Those of us who heard her sing "Bethesda" will never forget it. She sang in trios, duets and choirs all over the U. S. and Mexico.  She sang solos in the same places.    She loved to sing.  

Linda left her life on this earth on May 3, 2014.  She was in the hospital when she passed because she had open heart surgery just a few days earlier.  As her daughter and son-in-law were driving her to the hospital the morning of her surgery, the weather was bad.  Actually Pensacola had a record-breaking flood that very morning--maybe the heavens were weeping for what was going to happen to Linda?  During the trip into the hospital Linda began to sing:  "It is Well With My Soul." It was the last song she sang here on this earth. 

 In honor of her life, and her love of music, her eight siblings sang that song at Linda's funeral.  



1 comment: